Fire Protection

Arkansas Economic Development Commission, Division of Rural Services

Rural Services Block Grant - Eligible to communities of less than 3,000 in population with at least a 51% Low to Moderate income range.Maximum $75,000 with 10% match. Eligible projects include renovation or new construction of community centers, fire station buildings, or multi-purpose centers, or the purchase of firefighting vehicles, specialized life-saving equipment such as the “jaws of life” and protective clothing worn by fire fighters.
for an application and to look up a community’s Low to Moderate income range or contact the DRS Block Grant Coordinator at 1-888-RURALAR.

Fire Protection Grant - Funds projects for communities with population less than 3,000. Maximum of $15,000 with 50% match. Eligible projects include, but are not limited to, construction or renovation of fire stations, additional bays for existing stations, purchase of turn-out gear, communications equipment, fire trucks, SCBA's, and extrication equipment.
for an application or contact the DRS RCGP Coordinator at 1-888-RURALAR.

Arkansas Association of Resource Conservation & Development Councils
Grants for water supply and delivery items, communication and ISO compliant equipment.
Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) Program – Grant to help recruit and retain volunteer firefighters. Provides mailing service to send out notices of dues. They will cover the cost of printing statements at a minimal cost.
Contact Charles Gangluff at 501-354-7900.

Arkansas Department of Health
Funding available for certain fire-related items. Contact Bettie Watts at (501) 280-4776.

Arkansas Department of Agriculture’s Forestry Division
Rural Fire Protection Program
Interest Free Loan - Fire departments in which at least seventy-five percent (75%) of the firefighters are volunteers, and which serves a community with a population of 10,000 or less may apply for an interest free loan. Up to $15,000 per applicant interest-free loans for fire trucks and equipment.
Federal Excess Personal Property Program (FEPP) - Fire departments may request federal excess property through the RFP office. FEPP equipment is available for fire protection only. The department is required to place the equipment in-service within six months of receipt and maintain it in operable condition for the entirety of its possession. Title or ownership of FEPP does not pass to the fire department. Once the equipment can no longer be used, the fire department must return it to the RFP office. FEPP is provided in cooperation with the U.S. Forest Service.
Training - The Basic Wildland Fire Suppression course is offered to all fire departments. This course is a requirement in Arkansas to become a Firefighter I.
For more information, contact Kathryn Mahan-Hooten at 501-679-3183 or visit

Arkansas Firewise
Arkansas Firewise USA Program - This is a wildfire-safety initiative that works through fire departments to educate and protect communities from wildfires. Beyond training and education, the program offers grant money to fire departments that complete required training and projects to help fund wildfire equipment and future wildfire mitigation projects.
For more information, visit, email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or by phone at (501) 580-9607.

Arkansas Department of Emergency Management
Arkansas Hazard Mitigation Program – Helps fund permanent repair solutions to sites that have had repetitive damage from natural causes such as flooding, wind or earthquakes. Cap on projects - $150,000.00 - 50% state - 50% local.
State Homeland Security Grant Program - designed to address the Homeland Security and response capabilities in Arkansas by providing specific equipment and training to first responders and state agencies based on the needs and vulnerabilities of the state.
Emergency Management Performance Grant (EMPG) - reimburses certain eligible expenses, under program guidelines, to support state and local emergency management costs. Requires 50% non-federal match.
Act 833 money - Act 833 funds are to be used for training, fire fighting equipment, and initial capital construction or improvements of fire departments.
Contact Kendell Snyder ADEM Fire Services Coordinator. ADEM’s phone number is 501-683-6700, and their website is

USDA Rural Development
Our mission is to help develop and sustain rural Arkansas' diversified, rapidly changing society by working in partnership with people and communities, and to assist them in improving their quality of life through financial and technical assistance. We accomplish this by helping with a wide range of projects that include Community Facility, Water and Wastewater, Business and Industry, and Housing.
Visit our website at to get an overview of the Programs offered and the associated grants, loans, and loan guarantees available and to locate the contact information of the Rural Development Area Office serving the County in which you are located.

Fireman’s Fund Heritage Program
Awards grants to fund programs and equipment to fire departments of all sizes across the country. Contact (866)440-8716, or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

FEMA Assistance to Firefighters Grants Program
Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) – Provides grants to obtain critically needed equipment, protective gear, emergency vehicles, training, and other resources needed to protect the public and emergency personnel from fire and related hazards.
Fire Prevention and Safety Grants (FP&S) - Support projects that enhance the safety of the public and firefighters from fire and related hazards. Examples of the types of projects supported by FP&S include fire prevention and public safety education campaigns, juvenile firesetter interventions, media campaigns, and arson prevention and awareness programs.
Information on each of these programs is located at  You can also email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call 1-866-274-0960.

State of Arkansas Federal Surplus Property
Provides at a small cost Federal Surplus vehicles and equipment including trucks, desks, protective equipment, hose, generators, compressors, chairs, etc., to fire departments or other government entities.
or call 501-835-3111.